Timing: 1 x 45 minute block
CROSS-CURRICULAR: Mathematics, Social Studies
LEARNING OUTCOMES: Sample Grade 5
OVERVIEW: This lesson examines the distances traveled by athletes through the mathematical process of estimation.
CURRICULUM SKILLS / KNOWLEDGE / VALUES:
- read and interpret the information provided on a world map
- demonstrate an understanding of the distance from the countries of origin to the host city
- be able to give concrete examples of approximate distances travelled by athletes
- Think of reasons why an appreciation for overall distances may be required (e.g. travel time, training, judging time needed for completing an event).
- Have the students estimate the perimeter of the classroom, gymnasium or field and then verify their results using a measuring device. Explore how those distances would be represented on a scaled drawing.
- Have students estimate the distances traveled by teams from the countries used in Lesson 8.