Timing: 3-4 x 45 minute blocks
CROSS-CURRICULAR: Physical Education, ￼Career and Personal Planning
LEARNING OUTCOMES: Sample Grade 5
OVERVIEW: This lesson provides a hands-on opportunity to learn about the game of wheelchair rugby while demonstrating sporting spirit and teamwork during simulated Wheelchair Rugby games.
CURRICULUM SKILLS / KNOWLEDGE / VALUES:
- learn how to play a simulated game modeled after wheelchair rugby, which is a combination of basketball and rugby
- develop skills in passing, checking and teamwork while experiencing what it might be like to play a game that requires coping with limited mobility
- 8 scooters (4 per team*)
- 1 soft neon volleyball, soft regular volleyball, gator ball, or playground ball
- 4 traffic cones, benches
- painter’s tape
- Scooter Rugby Rules
* if the students are younger, 16 scooters would allow for 2 games to be played at the same time on the half court
- Share the game of scooter rugby before going to the gymnasium. Discuss what it means to have limited mobility.
- At the gymnasium demonstrate and have the students practise some scooter skills (e.g. mobility, handling the ball). Play the game as outlined in the Scooter Rugby Rules.