Understanding the Spine
Timing: 2 x 45 minute blocks
CROSS-CURRICULAR: Sciences, Fine Arts, Health and Career Education
LEARNING OUTCOMES: Sample Grade 5
OVERVIEW: This lesson examines the spinal cord, related injuries and how these injuries occur.
CURRICULUM SKILLS / KNOWLEDGE / VALUES:
- study the spine and learn how an injury at certain levels of the spine results in specific disabilities
- learn how some spinal injuries occur
- Spinal Cord Worksheet (photocopy 1 per student and make a transparency) and Answer Key
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Glossary — refer to as needed
- Website for prevention of spinal cord injuries: www.thinkfirst.ca
- With the class, share and discuss the diagram of the spine on an overhead. Hand out the Spinal Cord Worksheet for the students to complete.
- With the class, brainstorm how spinal cord injuries can occur. Discuss the difference between a paraplegic and a quadriplegic.
- With the class, discuss how we can participate in activities safely and what students can do to prevent spinal cord injuries (e.g. seat belts, not diving in shallow water).
- In small groups or individually, create a safety poster/brochure that demonstrates an understanding of at least one of the safety aspects discussed.